Tuesday, 27 August 2013

The Twitterverse and the Federal election

Mamadonut.blogspot.com 28/8/13


With the Australian Federal election around the corner the prevalence of Political Microblogging is quite relevant. As a relatively new aspect of the World Wide Web and Mass Media, Twitter and any other forms of Microblogging have great potential to increase the participation in political matters by previously unengaged citizens (Castells, 2007 as cited in Larsson and Moe, 2011), when it is used by Politicians, Journalists and voters, as a platform for Political communication.

Technologies are often viewed as key drivers "of change in the electoral arena" (Gibson et al., 2008, as cited in Larsson and Moe, 2011) and the current use of Twitter in Australian Politics, and around the world is, in my opinion, no exception to this. Being Generation Y I do not actually remember (or at least was not old enough to pay attention) an election being held where Twitter, Social Media, and new technologies alike were not used by Politicians, Journalists and everyday citizens to supply us, to an extent (considering the Techno-legal Time Gap), voters with any information they and we want. 

Twitter provides a relatively democratic Public sphere that would otherwise not exist in Politics. The successful use of Twitter in Obama's US Presidential Campaign in 2008/9 helped to establish Social Media "as an integral part of the political campaign toolbox" (Tumasjan et al., 2010). While in theory Microblogging should allow the Public to communicate with Politicians who are active on Twitter, and vice versa, I would argue that it is naive to think it is possible to carry civilised conversation through medium. An example of this is when Joe Hockey, Shadow Treasurer, asked for his followers opinion on the Governments Emissions Trading Scheme. The replies inevitably moved towards attacks on both Labour and Liberal policy, and not surprisingly didn't really provide a great deal of insight into the actual thoughts on the ETS. Dare I say though, that tactics such as this are simply a ploy to seem engaged with the Twittersphere.

Despite this, I feel that Microblogging on Twitter during an election is a positive. I would call myself a semi-engaged voter, I occasionally watch Q&A (occasionally!) and I do follow Politicians on Twitter. I also, though, follow Journalists. And this is where I see the benefits. Journalists like Latika Bourke, a Political Reporter from the Canberra Press Gallery, use hashtags like #AusVotes, and links to further details to provide everyday Twitter users with information as they scroll through their daily, or hourly Social Media fix. I cannot think of another avenue that allows voters this much readily available information, even when Tweets are limited to 140 characters.

References

Larsson, A.O., and Moe, H. (2011). Studying political microblogging: Twitter users in the 2010 Swedish election campaign. New Media & Society, 14(5), 729-747. DOI:10.1177/1461444811422894 


Tumasjan, A., Sprenger, T. O., Sander, P. G., & Welpe, I. M. (2010). Predicting Elections With Twitter: What 140 Characters Reveal About Political Sentiment. Social Science Computer Review, 30 (2), 229-234. Retrieved from http://danielschiffman.com/learning/ICWSM10_Predicting_Elections_with_Twitter.pdf



2 comments:

  1. Hi Katelyn,

    I would have liked to see you expand the discussion on how Twitter can engage voters in the first paragraph somehow: I feel like that part was a little unfinished. The use of the image might have been stronger somewhere during the piece to break it up a little, instead of at the beginning.

    I think you made great use of hyper-links through to Joe Hockey and Latika Bourke's Twitter pages, and they were a good contrast of examples of political and journalistic micro-blogging. I also liked that you shared your stance on micro-blogging, as I think the personal connection to the topic makes your piece stronger. The final sentence leaves a good last impression too, and was well executed.

    Great work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Katelyn
    I think you've used the research/readings here really well, integrating the information into the conversation in a readable manner. Your own personal take on it shows that you have understood the material. As far as a blog post goes, I think it would have been great to hyperlink to a few things throughout, such as further material relating to the Obama case study you mention here. It reads as though you have done more research than what you have referenced also, which could be interesting to the reader. Visually speaking, breaking the post up with some more pictures and/or video would make it a bit more appealing and increase connectivity. Overall I think you've raised some great points and agree with you that Twitter has some great uses!

    ReplyDelete